The Biggest Micro Home

If you’re a regular reader to The Greenest Dollar, then you probably already know that I’m enthralled with the idea of living in a mini home.

To me, it’s the epitome of green living: micro homes are, well, micro, which means they have a very small footprint on the earth. They also force you to consume fewer resources; after all, if you don’t have any space to store junk, then you don’t buy junk.

Living in a mini home also forces you into a simpler lifestyle. There is less space to clean, and less space to store stuff you don’t really care about. You can keep the things you truly love, and let go of what you don’t.

For people who have garages, basements, and attics stuff full of stuff they can’t seem to part with, this would present a very welcome change.

The Big Small House

People who are just learning about the small house movement might be a bit intimidated with the thought of

B-53 home From TumbleweedHouses.com

B-53 home From TumbleweedHouses.com

living in a 300 square foot space or less. So, I wanted to highlight this mini home, designed by Tumbleweed Tiny House Company.

Their B-53 mini home ranges from 743 square feet to 837, depending on whether or not you add on a third bedroom. In the floor plans, the bedrooms are located upstairs, leaving the downstairs for the kitchen and living areas.

Unlike most mini homes, the B-53 is not prefab; you would have to hire a builder/contractor to construct this on a permanent foundation for you. But Jay Shafer, the company’s founder, estimates that this home can be built for around $100,000, and perhaps less in some areas.

Learn More

Want to learn more about the Small House Movement? Well, a few months ago I wrote a pretty in-depth article, “Why Live In A Micro Home?” If you scroll down to the bottom you’ll see a comprehensive list of micro home designers and builders. Some of the images on their sites are gorgeous, so don’t miss checking that out if you’re interested. Micro home designs range from ultra-modern (my favorite) to the more traditional (like the B-53 design), and you’ll get the gamut if you check out my list of designers.

You can also visit these blogs, all of which focus on tiny house design and small home living:

{ 1 trackback }

In praise of teeny tiny houses
January 15, 2009 at 6:14 am

Steph January 7, 2009 at 10:38 am

Another really good site you should include is tinyhouseblog.com

I also frequently write about tiny homes and the small home movement on my blog. ๐Ÿ™‚

Steph January 7, 2009 at 10:40 am

Forgot to add–I also have put together a tiny home resource guide that might be useful to people who are just getting started learning about these:

heather January 7, 2009 at 1:03 pm

Steph,

Thanks so much for writing in! I have seen your blog before; I meant to add it to my blogroll months ago and simply forgot. But, it’s going up today!

Thanks also for the tip on tinyhouseblog.com. I’ll that one as well.

Miss M January 13, 2009 at 8:14 pm

My non-tiny home is actually smaller than that model of Tumbleweed Tiny Home. I’d love to have a TTH as a cottage or escape from the city home, I found their designs several years ago. Zoning is a problem though, most places don’t allow less than 600 sq ft for single family structures. My house is 744 sq ft, a 1920’s cottage. I actually have a living room, dining room, kitchen, laundry room and two bedrooms and a bath in that space. I wrote about appreciating small space living:

K.I.S.S. รขโ‚ฌโ€œ Keep it Simple, Small

Doc Monday July 18, 2009 at 8:03 pm

Here’s another interesting site for those thinking about tiny homes: http://www.modern-shed.com/dwelling.html

I’m not affiliated with the site/company/owners — heck, I’m not even a satisfied customer (not because I’m dissatisfied, but because I’m not a customer). I just like their designs.