Raise your hand if you’ve ever done any of the following things:
- Kept your fluffiest, most luxurious towels in the closet for when guests come
- Saved that fabulous cupcake mix for someone’s, anyone’s, birthday, in case you need it at the last minute
- Only worn your best lingerie for super special occasions because you don’t want to wear it out by wearing it everyday
- Rarely sat in your nicest chair because you’re afraid to spill something on it or get it dirty
- Only used your favorite, most expensive wine glasses when company comes over for dinner
Do you see where I’m going here?
We’ve all done stuff like that. I know I have.
And you know what? It’s silly!
Why do we save our best, most favorite things for “someday”? These are the things our hearts long for. That soft cashmere blanket that’s sealed up in a plastic bag at the top of the linen closet, that silk robe we never wear in case we dribble our coffee, that fabulous journal that we’re afraid of spoiling with our dumb ideas…
These are simple luxuries that are already in our life, and yet we don’t allow them to lift us up simply because we’re saving them for “something else”.
But, imagine if we let go of that idea! Imagine if we finally took out that fancy $225 DeWalt drill and actually used it! Imagine sipping coffee on the front porch every morning in that silk robe, drying off with your fluffiest towels, and wearing your best lingerie to the grocery store.
Imagine finally popping open that expensive bottle of champagne for no other reason to celebrate a completely ordinary day.
We all have simple luxuries in our lives, luxuries that we’ve paid for. They’re waiting to give us joy. But we have to let go of the idea of “saving” them for some imaginary perfect day, and actually start using these things. That’s what they’re there for!
Keeping these special things hidden away is robbing yourself of some really happy, special moments. And, that’s a cost far higher than what you paid for that luxury item in the first place.
So, go put on that wonderful summer dress! Go open that bottle of wine, and drag out your most expensive sheets. Let them add some joy to your life. It’s just stuff, remember? It’s serving no purpose unless you use it.